Re: [Paparazzi-devel] ardrone2_raw starts but doesn't fly

From: Ben Laurie
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] ardrone2_raw starts but doesn't fly
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 18:17:58 +0100

Well, I've had some fun.

Firstly: Flight Recorder - I have no idea what's going on with that -
but broadly, paparazzi doesn't seem to get positioning from it
anymore, sirf demo appears not to want to talk to it and if I try to
cat its USB port, I get one block of data and that's it.

Secondly: u-blox. I have a device that claims to be a u-blox 6, but it
stays in NMEA mode, despite ap trying to reconfigure it. u-center also
seems unable to do things it ought to be able to do, like get a log
from it or save its configuration. This is a cheap one from China - I
have a more expensive one from Germany on order :-)

Thirdly: I had to change the device from /dev/ttyUSB0 to /dev/ttyACM0
- the ardrone doesn't seem to create a USB0 node. BTW, I'm mildly
confident the baud rate setting is irrelevant for USB devices - any
comment?

Finally: so I configured things for NMEA instead of u-blox. This
actually works, in the sense that I get a fix, and its in the right
place and height. And it does actually take off this time. However, I
have a similar experience to before: it zooms off at high speed,
overshoots, turns around and eventually falls out of the sky (or in
one case, hit a tree). Could this be because it doesn't get an updated
position frequently enough?

At least these things appear to be quite robust!

Any suggestions on why the u-blox doesn't work? If I wanted to
manually configure it, that should be possible from u-center, right?