Re: [Paparazzi-devel] ARDrone2 mostly working...

From: Ben Laurie
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] ARDrone2 mostly working...
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 21:35:09 +0100

On 20 October 2013 21:06, Freek van Tienen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey Ben,
>
> Good to hear that you got it flying now! Sorry that I didn't respond to your
> emails that quick, but I've been a bit busy lately.
>
> But switching to binary mode is very easy when you enable the ublox module
> inside your airframe file. So what you got to do is first set the gps
> subsystem to ublox, then add:
>
>  <modules main_freq="512">
>
>     <load name="gps_ubx_ucenter.xml"/>
>
>   </modules>
>
> to your airframe file just line in
> https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/master/conf/airframes/ardrone2_raw.xml.
> The it will automatically configure the GPS for you.

It doesn't work, on either of the GPSes. They stay in NMEA mode. As
previously mentioned, I couldn't figure out how to switch modes in
u-center, either, so I can't even try that.

BTW, I just looked again at the "cheap" Chinese GPS, and it looks like
they had a pricing error - it is now £48.99 (I paid £18.99). I just
retested it (statically because it was dark) and it is far more
stable, position-wise, than the German one. The German one was giving
very large position errors: sometimes 30m or more.

I'll try flying with it tomorrow, if the rain isn't too heavy.