Re: [Paparazzi-devel] fixed wing angle of attack and cruise speed

From: Chris
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] fixed wing angle of attack and cruise speed
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 21:23:34 +0200

On 20 November 2013 08:12, Reto Büttner <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Chris

To optimize efficiency you can display an efficiency indicator on the 2D map using papgets. An easy efficiency indicator would be "Speed per Percent Throttle". Better efficiency indicators are "Speed per Fuel Flow" or "Distance per Litre Fuel", but this needs a fuel flow measurement. For electric planes it would be "Speed per Amps" or "Distance per Ah". The simple math needed for these indicators (one division) can be done directly in the papget. Then choose a calm day (no wind), fly large circles and manually play around with the throttle setting (using pitch neutral as described) until you get maximum efficiency. We have done so successfully with our long distance small electric planes (>125km, 140cm wingspan, 2kg weight).

Cool ... what are these planes?