[Paparazzi-devel] FHSS video tx/rx first impressions

From: Chris
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] FHSS video tx/rx first impressions
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 10:43:18 +0200

Hi.
I just checked my just arrived video FHSS tx/rx combo and here is what i found.
The good:
Transmittion range with the normal dipoles is far better than i thought.
Power is 60mw and it can easily penetrate the whole house without a problem despite the wifi network being active. With directional antennas and a power amplifier i think it can be compared with analog signal transmittion range of the same rf power. With the nominal 60mw i think it beats or at least is in par with the analog transmitters that i have tested in house. Picture quality is better than i expected almost the same as the source signal with very few artifacts.
Moving scenes do not show detectable or unbearable fuzziness.

The bad:
Latency was stated as 100ms but using a crude measurement is closer to 500ms so the system is not good for FPV (i am sure that pilot oscillation will be induced if someone tries to fly through this video link) but it is very nice for observation and security purposes.

On top of those i ordered and payed for 4 transmitters and i got one =-O i guess it could be worst. :-) I am trying to resolve this issue as mistakes do happen and i don't think this mistake happened intentionally.