Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Quad Tilt Rotor using Lisa/M

From: Reto Büttner
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Quad Tilt Rotor using Lisa/M
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:19:54 +0100

Hi Mark

I am sure the Lisa/M from the Quadshot can be adapted to meet your
needs. Piotr Esden-Tempski and Christophe de Wagter know a lot about
the transition technology. They might be able to help you.

Just some general inputs to transition technology:

- The goal is to have a VTOL aircraft that flys faster and further
than a traditional helicopter, multicopter or gyrocopter.
- Transition technology is quite complex. To make it pay you should
achieve at least 150% the speed and 200% the range/endurance of a
comparable traditional helicopter, multicopter or gyrocopter. You
better design for 200% speed and 300% range/endurance.
- This efficiency is not easy to achieve. Many current designs barely
reach the required efficiency, like the Quadshot or the Osprey. Both
lack an efficient wing for cruise flight. The quadshot additionally
lacks an efficient propulsion in cruise flight, the Ospray does that
better having variable pitch props. The lack in performance might be a
reason why the Quadshot hasn't found wide use yet.
- Therefore DARPA has launched a new development programm for a VTOL
aircraft with better performance:
http://defense-update.com/20131213_sikorsky-aurora-flight-sciences-develop-vtol-x-planes-darpa.html
- You need a concept to achieve the required efficiency. You should
consider variable pitch props, use only two of the four props in
cruise flight or have some other smart idea. Otherwise you are not
likely to achieve the required efficiency.
- Tilt rotors are quite complex. They should only be used if the
fuselage needs to be horizontal all the time, like for a troop carrier
as the Osprey. If that is not required, a concept that tilts the whole
airframe is preferred, like the Sikorsky X-Plane, the NASA Puffin or
the Quadshot.
- Your concept has been solved already back in 2007/2008 by the Verti4
(Yann Lecun, France) using standard RC components only:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI-yHsQBVv8
http://verti4.blogspot.de/

Cheers
Reto