Re: [Paparazzi-devel] GPS 3G lock - but coordinates all zero

From: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Heinrich Warmers
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] GPS 3G lock - but coordinates all zero
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 18:51:30 +0100

Hello Liebold,
are you using a navilock 407ETTL?
This one  need up to 5-8h run time to charge the battery.
Also the old SAM-LS shows the same behaviour.

I had the same error.
In think we need a software update, that when the coordinates are all zero no 3D fix message and no start.
The zero zero  coordinates are  in the atlantic see.
Wait for a  3Dfix and look on the googel map to control that you are on the true location.
Wait for the flight plane points  had moved to the actual position.

Heinrich

Simon Liebold schrieb:
All,

Here a reminder to not rely on the green GPS status indicator in the GCS alone:

I went up yesterday in the belief that I had a good 3d lock. Up in the air with enough altitude (and good wind as well) I flipped the mode switch to AUTO2. Before I understood what was happening the plane was out of sight. I believe kill mode activated at some point.

Luckily, I found it again after a 30 minute search and 600m further (see attachment). Just minor damage.

I had updated the ublox (LEA-6H) to its newest firmware and must have set something incorrectly. It took quite a while to get a GPS "lock" and the log is showing:

11270.388 1 GPS 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1783 53717750 0 1 (before "fix")
11271.455 1 GPS 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 1783 53718750 0 2 (after acquiring the "fix", 3g mode(!))

So, always verify that it is showing the correct position on the map of the GCS as well!

Simon