Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Your experience with GPS failings in flight?

From: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Heinrich Warmers
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Your experience with GPS failings in flight?
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 23:13:47 +0100

Hi,
we had problems by the use of  different video camera systems  that prevent a GPS fix.
After  coating  the camera with a aluminium foil we got a fix  but poor   accuracy.
As we made flight  experiments with large roll angel (>70°)  we lost  accuracy for altitude  (about 30-60m error).

Heinrich

Chris schrieb:
I have never experienced an in flight failure of the gps mainly because i work the system on the ground experimenting with many things for a long time before i install it in the aircraft.
Until now only one gps unit has failed and that was on the bench after ~1 hour of operation (setup etc).
Also never lost gps lock in air except from one time a long time ago due to an airborne pentax camera
that produced enough interference in order to make the gps loose the 3d lock.
I wasn't expecting this but fortunately the plane was in standby mode overhead.
Chris