Re: [Paparazzi-devel] multirotor failsafe

From: alonso acuña
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] multirotor failsafe
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 18:36:54 -0600

Sounds good. Hopefully I will have the multirotor flying soon, test all this and help update the documentation.  Thanks.

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Felix Ruess <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Alonso,

in master (and v5.1_testing which we can hopefully soon release as v5.2) the failsafes of rotorcraft are very simlar to the fixedwing failsafes now.
See http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Failsafe for fixedwing failsafes (needs to be updated to include rotorcraft failsafes).

There are several possible modes that are triggered on different conditions:
See also http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Rotorcraft_Configuration#Autopilot_modes (which is not yet completely up-to-date with master).
  • HOME mode: new in master with commit 33c5740, similar to fixedwing
    implemented in the nav_home function, which currently means simply flying back to the HOME waypoint at the HOME wp altitude.
    With <define name="UNLOCKED_HOME_MODE" value="TRUE"/> you can get out of HOME mode if you have valid RC and are not too_far_from_home, otherwise click on
  • FAILSAFE mode: zero roll/pitch and current heading setpoint (so hover in attitude mode but not position controlled) and descent at FAILSAFE_DESCENT_SPEED (default now 1.5 m/s)
    • if you define KILL_AS_FAILSAFE, it will go into KILL mode whenever it would normally trigger FAILSAFE
  • KILL mode: will just kill the motors, to be used as last resort

Distance triggers:
  • if too_far_from_home (defined by circle around HOME with radius MAX_DIST_FROM_HOME)
    • then go into HOME mode
  • if you get really too far from HOME (FAILSAFE_MODE_DISTANCE with default 1.5 * MAX_DIST_FROM_HOME)
    • then go into FAILSAFE_MODE_TOO_FAR_FROM_HOME (defaults to AP_MODE_FAILSAFE)

RC lost trigger:
  • if RC_REALLY_LOST in a RC mode (not KILL, HOME, FAILSAFE or NAV)
    • go into RC_LOST_MODE (default is same as before: AP_MODE_FAILSAFE)
  • nothing if in any of the other modes

GPS lost trigger (if USE_GPS):
  • if in HOME mode
    • go into AP_MODE_FAILSAFE
  • if in NAV and motors_on:
    • if NO_GPS_LOST_WITH_RC_VALID is defined and RC is ok, do nothing
    • else go into AP_MODE_FAILSAFE

Battery voltage trigger:
  • if FAILSAFE_ON_BAT_CRITICAL is defined and electrical.bat_critical (voltage below CRITIC_BAT_LEVEL with default of 9.8V)
    • go into AP_MODE_FAILSAFE

I think thats currently it.... apart from more custom exceptions you can add in your flight plan for NAV mode of course.

Cheers, Felix