[Paparazzi-devel] AR.Drone used in scientific crowdsourcing experiment

From: Rinze Bruining
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] AR.Drone used in scientific crowdsourcing experiment
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 08:50:06 +0000

Hi all,

I would like to ask for your help with my robotic crowdsourcing experiment. The
reason I ask it on this mailing-list, is that many of you possess an AR.Drone.

For the experiment an augmented reality game "Astro Drone" was created, in
which players can perform space missions. In the first level you have to dock
to the International Space Station, in the second level you have to avoid space
debris while performing ESA's Rosetta mission.

After playing the game, players can choose to participate in the scientific
crowdsourcing experiment that aims to improve autonomous capabilities of
robots, such as landing, obstacle avoidance, and docking. If participating, the
app extracts visually salient features from the images made by the drone's
camera. The features are then combined with the estimates of the drone's state
(speed, height) and uploaded. The data is used in a research aiming to improve
robot navigation.

Detailed information on the experiment can be found on ESA's website:
http://www.esa.int/gsp/ACT/ai/projects/astrodrone.html  The app, developed by
the Advanced Concepts Team of ESA in collaboration with the MAV-lab of TU
Delft, is available for Android and iOS:
Google play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.rwb.spacegame
Apple app store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/astro-drone/id597477649?ls=1&mt=8

It would help me a lot if you could play the game and participate in the
experiment!