Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Introduction Dutch UAS

From: Pascal Fust
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Introduction Dutch UAS
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 12:19:09 +0200

Hi Kitso,

interestingly enough, I was just checking news on http://www.dutchuas.nl looking for information about your project. I am currently working on paparazzi-based UAS for wildlife research - not focusing on rhinos or elephants ;-) - and I was wondering how far you would already have come with your object recognition system. Do you develop the system yourself or are you having other researchers involved working on that issue?

I am very interested in your work, please keep me updated .
Hopefully, we might cooperate more closely - for the sake of the endangered species in this world.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Pascal

Pascal Fust
MSc Wildlife Biology and Conservation
Leuphana University
Centre for Methodology in Ecology
Lueneburg, GERMANY

Dear all paparazzi creators,

For about 1 year we have been working with paparazzi. Sometimes frustrating, but most of the time we are very happy with it!

I would like to introduce ourselves:
We are working on an autonomous airplane to help rangers in South Africa to protect their wildlife (like the rhino and elephant). We want to keep seeing these animals in the wild and believe that everyone should have that chance. Since these animals are being poached at alarming and still increasing rates (every day 3 rhinos are killed, every 15 min an elephant dies because of poachers) we have to do something very fast.

That is why we create a drone to help rangers cover the large national parks where the rhinos and elephants live. For this drone it is extremely important that it flies (almost) fully autonomous, since these rangers are not trained uav pilots. This is were paparazzi comes in off course.

I will send a couple of other mails (with their own subject) about some questions and experiences we have with paparazzi. Hopefully our experiences can help us all, and maybe you can help us with our questions.

We are looking forward to getting to know you.

Kind regards
Kitso Epema
Dutch UAS
www.savetherhino.nl