Re: [Paparazzi-devel] apogee board 2.0 - feature questions

From: Martin Mueller
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] apogee board 2.0 - feature questions
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 20:24:48 +0200

Hi Jan,

- servo connectors - we would like to turn the 3 pin connectors 180
   degrees, so that pin 1 corresponds with servos signal. This will
make the board consistent with the standard molex 1.25->futaba/JR
harness cables
   (
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__46385__Male_Molex_1_25_to_Female_JR_Servo_Extension_1pc_EU_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=molex%201.25
)

For some historical reasons, GND is always on pin 1 of all
connectors, so doing this you will be hobbyking compliant but not
pprz anymore (hello magic smoke)
You better buy a tool to swap the hobbyking's harness molex pins :
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0011030043/WM9937-ND/252489
I am aware of this, swapping is not a problem. However, a regular user
may not notice that reverse layout. Magic smoke won't happen
in either case since the power+ is always in the middle, in the worst
case you would just ground the servo signal. We will consider your
objection.

changing pin 1 not to be GND only for servo plugs creates an unneeded headache. HK is not a big standard either.

It is not only about servos, there might be other 3-pin devices that are now (relatively) safe to plug into a servo connector. Even plugging it to a bigger connector is pretty much safe as long as you keep pin 1 aligned.

If you are using a standard servo connector anyway, would integrating a standard 2.54mm header be an option (creating a slightly bigger board)?

Having a better barometer (MS5611) would be nice.

Martin