Re: [Paparazzi-devel] calibrating ardrone2

From: Felix Ruess
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] calibrating ardrone2
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 11:50:19 +0100

Hi bender,

I followed the tutorials to set up und calibrate the ardrone2. After finishing the setup the drone starts to rotate around the vertical axis when turning up the throttle. Do I have to calibrate more than the magnetometer?

Do you mean that the heading estimate rotates while you hold the ardrone2 down and turn up throttle or in actual flight?

If it's the former, you might need to calibrate for current: https://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/ImuCalibration#Calibrating_for_Current

If it rotates in flight, there are a couple of things you can/should check:
- What autopilot mode are you in?
- Are you really sending a zero yaw command?
- Does the ardrone think it's keeping the initial heading while rotating or does the heading displayed in the GCS (or even better plot it) reflect the real rotation?
- If the heading estimate moves if you hold the ardrone down while increasing throttle -> see calibration for current above

BTW: I have a joystick with only two axis. I set up *pitch* and *roll*. Yawing ist not possible with the joystick. Actually I even have no idea how to yaw without a joystick, but that is not my problem right now. But still, how can a foreclose, that everything is calibrated correctly, but the drone gets some impulse to yaw, causing the rotation described in the first place?

If you are in a mode that keeps heading (e.g. an ATTITUDE mode) and the mag is properly calibrated, it will go back to the commanded heading after a disturbance.

Cheers, Felix