Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Ar.Drone 2 session stuck at "Waiting for telemetry

From: Riccardo Paolo Bestetti
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Ar.Drone 2 session stuck at "Waiting for telemetry"
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 00:33:43 +0200

Hi everyone.

Good news: I got it to work on Ubuntu 16.04!
Kinda bad-ish news: I took a shortcut.

To make it work, I installed an older version of the cross-compiler from the Ubuntu Trusy repository, which contains an older version of the cross-compiler setup. The method should work on pretty much any apt-based distribution that presents my same problem.
I'm writing it as a tutorial, so it can readily be used by people coming from e.g. Google.

This is how I did it:

1 - Removed the installed g++-arm-linux-gnueabi and g++-arm-linux-gnueabi packages, autoremoved all the dependencies, updated & upgraded everything (this is useful for the last step):
$ sudo apt-get remove g++-arm-linux-gnueabi g++-arm-linux-gnueabi
$ sudo apt-get autoremove
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade

2 - Added main and universe repo components from Ubuntu Trusty to the end (very important unless you want to screw up your distro) of my sources.list & updated the package lists:

$ sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty main universe' >> /etc/apt/sources.list"
$ sudo apt-get update

3 - Reinstalled g++-arm-linux-gnueabi and g++-arm-linux-gnueabi, this time by pinning the trusty repo with the -t option:

$ sudo apt-get install -t trusty g++-arm-linux-gnueabi g++-arm-linux-gnueabi

4 - Noted the packages that apt tries to upgrade to the last version from the list given by this command (I omitted sudo on purpose, the flag -s launches a simulation which doesn't need a lock):

$ apt-get upgrade -s

5 - Marked the aforementioned packages to be held back, to avoid them being upgraded again to the last version by apt-get upgrade:

$ sudo apt-mark hold binutils-arm-linux-gnueabi cpp-4.7-arm-linux-gnueabi cpp-arm-linux-gnueabi g++-4.7-arm-linux-gnueabi g++-arm-linux-gnueabi gcc-4.7-arm-linux-gnueabi gcc-4.7-arm-linux-gnueabi-base gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi libc6-armel-cross libc6-dev-armel-cross libcloog-ppl1 libgcc-4.7-dev-armel-cross libgcc1-armel-cross libgomp1-armel-cross libppl-c4 libstdc++6-4.7-dev-armel-cross libstdc++6-armel-cross linux-libc-dev-armel-cross

Note that the package list could be slightly different for other distros than mine, or even for the same one, so don't just blindly copy this last command! Always take the package list from the 4th step.

6 - Optional but suggested, you can now remove the trusty repo from your sources.list, as it's never good to have repos for different releases on the same system (execute the following command only once, as it deletes the last line of the file):

$ sudo sed -i '$ d' /etc/apt/source.list

These steps should install the cross-compiler from the trusty repos, which contains a version of the cross-compiled glibc that supports Linux >= 2.6.32 (hence, the Ar.Drone 2 with software version v2.4.8).

After doing this, I launched Paparazzi, selected the appropriate xml files for the Ar.Drone 2, cleaned, built the autopilot, uploaded it and it worked.

Executing the file command on the ap.elf executable confirms that it supports Linux 2.6.32.

Hope this will help someone in the future.

Regards,
--- Riccardo Paolo Bestetti