parallel

Re: Can the automated tests be included in the source tarball?

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Can the automated tests be included in the source tarball?
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 01:18:31 +0200

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 8:37 AM Shlomi Fish <shlomif@shlomifish.org> wrote:

> Can the automated tests be included in the source tarball? It does not include
> them currently which makes assuring that it works properly harder.

They are available in git.

I am not sure they would make sense to normal users, thus I am not
convinced they should go into the tarball.

Unfortunately some of them are heavily dependent on running on the
same equipment as mine due to timing issues (and every time I change
hardware or upgrade software, I have to tweak the tests or results a
little).

But it would be a good idea to identify those that are not dependent
on this and make it clear that these should be able to run on all
systems. And if possible change more tests to be independent.

If you want to help, a good start would be to have
testsuite/REQUIREMENTS ported so it would work on more systems. It
(tries to) install and set up all required software to run the
testsuite.

GNU Parallel is pretty well tested on many systems. The testsuite is
not - not even close, so expect it to puke errors all over the place.

/Ole