paxutils-forum

Re: cpu usage for GTAR on alpha

From: Uncle George
Subject: Re: cpu usage for GTAR on alpha
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 07:18:52 -0500

224 min 'the program top' time. which is cpu time. the 78% to 90% ( with
it appearing every 5 secs ~82% in RN state, rather than in the expected
D ( disk activity ) state! ).

The program AMANDA, a backup system, would like to estimate disk usage.
it does this by running the backup program, in this case "tar", and
dumping all data to /dev/null. Amanda appears to expect that each drive
should take no longer that 5min to scan.

"running: /bin/gtar: /bin/gtar --create --file /dev/null --directory /
--one-file-system --listed-incremental
/usr/local/var/amanda/gnutar-lists/mylaptop__0.new --sparse
--ignore-failed-read --totals . "

anyway, doing some further tests, i have used the 'time find .' command
to just go through the directories. for a file count of 443k, wall time
is some 47min, with 8sec user, 23sec system time.

I am now 'find'ing the whole drive, so i suspect that it will take some
80min wall time to complete.