RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] address book

From: Patrick J. Walsh (mr_e)
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] address book
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 00:31:17 -0700

Sounds like he's trying to make it a little too far reaching (contacts
belonging to  multiple organizations? trusts and estates sounds like it
should be a separate  module that links over)

Perhaps estates and trusts are not good examples for you. Think instead of phpGroupWare programmers. Suppose you have a contact entry for Seek3r, but you only get to put him under one company. Do you put phpGroupWare as the company (I call this the organization) or do you put the company he works for? Ideally, you put both and you can look up everyone who belongs to phpGroupWare and/or everyone who works for his company. Do you see the need for multiple organizations a little bit more clearly now? Straight hierarchies are nice, but not at all true to real life, imho.

One complication that I don't think has been handled though is the
company contact  without a known individual at that company (eg adding a
store phone number so I  have it closer at hand)

A fundamental tenet of cdb is that organizations and people are all entities with relationships so that you can have an organization with no people. The addressbook could probably add some of this functionality with a little less complexity than cdb, but that's because cdb aims to be a full, extensible contact management system and not just an addressbook.

..Patrick (mr_e)