[Phpgroupware-developers] Palm conduit for addbook

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] Palm conduit for addbook
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 01:04:06 +0000

I started thinking about making a conduit to sync the addbook to my Palm PDA and
came up with some questions I wondered if people could help me with

My problem lies in the fact the addbook separates the company and individual
contacts but the Palm doesn't (PS I need the company and individual info
separate
in the database for other add-on apps and for less data redundancy)

In theory, I think that the conduit should be able to match the companies to the
individuals and then sync them to the Palm

Can someone help me with the SQL to match the individuals with the companies.  I
could do it if it were two separate tables but when they're mixed together, I
get
lost.  It seems that for each company record we need to search for any
individual
records and for each individual record we need to search for it's corresponding
company record.  What if there are no individuals linked to the company?  Is
this
process slower than if it were in two separate tables?

Also, when there is one record per individual (that includes company info like
the
addressbook) then I could make a table that matched up phpgw record id numbers
with
palm addressbook record id numbers.  When we get into multiple individuals per
company I was going to match them up and sync them through in a similar manner.
But if one company info field changes on the Palm (for example the first Palm
record of two individuals from the same company) how do I prevent the second
company record from undoing the changes applied by the first?  Any input on
logic
would be helpful