Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] GNU/Linux on the phpGW bug tracker

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] GNU/Linux on the phpGW bug tracker
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 13:14:00 +0000

I have a small problem with this change .... only Debain is actually
GNU/Linux, Mandrake is close, and the rest are certainly not GNU.  "GNU/Linux"
and "Linux" are not exactly the same thing, adding GNU to it means that it's
not just GPL compatable but is strictly following the rules of the GNU,
correct?

I think the truely proper change would be to:
Debian GNU/Linux
Mandrake Linux
Redhat/Fedora
SuSE
Other Linux

I understand the want to put linux in front as it groups them, but if that is
somehow against GNU policy (and I say wtf on that) then putting GNU/Linux on
non-GNU distros should also be against the GNU policy.  Or maybe I
misunderstood the problem, Mathieu didn't directly say what the problem is but
mearly alluded to some policy that has something to do with listing the name
"Linux".