[phpGroupWare-developers] Planning ahead - was: Goodbye

From: Sigurd Nes
Subject: [phpGroupWare-developers] Planning ahead - was: Goodbye
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 11:07:11 +0200

Maât wrote:
> Sigurd Nes wrote:

Great :)

>> Important features are:
>>  * user-handling
>>
> Yes and there we'll need to put hard work
>
> And part of this work will involve thinking about template system :
> coders are often very poor interface designers
>
> And good interface designers have often very poor php and xml skills.
> Dreamweaver (sorry guys for the ugly word) and css and htmls are their
> worlds.
>
> Relying on current xsltemplate even if it's sexy on the paper  will
> ensure  that zero descent web designer will be able to get in and help
> us make nice  looking user interfaces.
>
> As far as web design is concerned the previous phplib based  template
> system was loads better.

A lot of work has been put into making use of yui.
There is a (bit old) demo at http://beta.resight.no/login.php

>>  * integration capabilities (xmlrpc/soap/ldap...)
>>
> Agreed
>
>>  * building blocks for ui as super-objects prepared to utilize common
>> elements (as tables, lists, calendars)
>>
> Not agreed
>
>>  * mechanism for internal integration across modules
>>
> Agreed a million times
>
>> I will fix the API (and core) to a usable state (running php 5.3) - and
>> update to the latest 3-party libraries.
>>
> Ok on the goal but if we go on we'll have to discuss the method : i
> don't wand to see a giant commit changing things everywhere whitout more
> thant "Merge from my working company tree"
>
> Suvbersion is all about keeping track of changes and helping bug hunting
> by the means of changelog and commit date analysis
>
> A million times okay for code fixing... but a million times not okay for
> giant commits impossible to check
>
> You probably did not even consider such commit... in this case please
> accept my apologies for this part of my mail :)

The work has been done over a long period of time - so it is not very easy
differentiate the fixes - but some splits should be doable.

One commit per app - some more for the API

- Think of it as a fix of the latest mega-commit.

>> I think that once the system is in a shape that makes is possible to install
>> and operate - it will attract developers and users.
>>
> indeed having something that installs and works would be a nice idea :)
>
> but if you want to attract devs ans users that will not be enough
>
> we'll need documentation (people willing to write it) and user + dev
> support (people willing to help people getting in... explaining things
> again and again)
>
> And till we have enough manpower to make separate teams for support and
> developpement and doc writing and betatesting the remaining people will
> have to be everywhere

Well - we have to start somewhere :)

Regards

Sigurd