phpprintipp

Re: [Phpprintipp] character s Transliteration [Re: PHP printipp, problèm

From: Thomas Harding
Subject: Re: [Phpprintipp] character s Transliteration [Re: PHP printipp, problèm e d'encodage avec CUPS]
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 22:46:03 +0200

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 06:33:50PM +0200, Thomas Harding wrote:
> > >$ipp->setMimeMediaType('text/plain');
> > >$ipp->setCharset('utf-8');
> > >$ipp->printJob();
> > >#####################################
>
> > OK, thank you for answering quickly.
> >
> > I I didn't succeed in making it work with CUPS. I was indeed using the
> > last version, but since anyway I want to use it with other printer
> > servers than CUPS afterwards, I decided to convert unicode characters
> > to their ASCII equivalents as much as I could.

Verified again. Works for sure. Setting charset to us-ascii cause
non-ascii characters to not be printed. Did you set up mime type to
'text/plain'?

However, for the usage you plan,
Here are tips for transliteration of characters:
<?php
$fp = fopen('test','r');
$str = fread($fp,1024);
echo iconv('utf-8','us-ascii//TRANSLIT//IGNORE',$str);
?>
########
# file "test"
essai
portez ce vieux whisky au juge blond qui fume

méthanol
œuf

########
# output
essai
portez ce vieux whisky au juge blond qui fume

methanol
oeuf

#########

Note I doubt on reliability for Chinese, Japanese, Thai... for which
printing through CUPS is the only solution.

Maybe a configurable switch in your module setup allowing the two
solutions would do the job?

I'm also interested in reading your code. Could you give me a pointer?

--
=== The BOFH Excuse Server ===
Your excuse is: The MGs ran out of gas.