Re: Creating custom debug streams

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Creating custom debug streams
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:52:17 +0200

On Wednesday 05 June 2002 20:11, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:

> start time, runtime maybe later if we have a GUI for configuration
> options (well, we already have one, but that sucks). compile time
> configuration sucks and should be avoided if possible.

Well, compile time configuration is always possible. ;-)
But adding some internal flags with defaults that can be changed by
commandline arguments or through a GUI is probably usefull.

> >   - trace
> ptrace?  Hm, could lead to a name conflict with ptrace(2).

Well, it's no problem at all to use another name. ;-)
Trace is usually used for very detailed debug messages, e.g. when you're
searching for an error in a particular section of code. This way you can
normally activate debugging and if you've encountered a bug you activate
trace to find it.

> >   - profiling
> pprof

Is there interest in profiling Pingus yet?

> >   - component specific
> We could flag them for the components:
> pwarn(PINGUS_SOUND) << ...
> pwarn(PINGUS_DISPLAY) << ...

How would you implement this? operator ()?

> >   - prefix with some text (could also mean special controlcodes)
> Done.

I think a method to change the prefix will be usefull. I'll just add one.

> >   - mask out
> not done.

I'll look into this too.