["Alberto Curro" <address@hidden>] Tricks for Windows coding and win ver

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: ["Alberto Curro" <address@hidden>] Tricks for Windows coding and win version status
Date: 08 Aug 2002 01:09:35 +0200

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Tricks for Windows coding and win version status Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 19:41:28 +0200
Hi,

  First of all, only say that I've no changes from my last mail, time ago.
The Windows version still goes on compiling, but I cannot make it running...
and I've already tested 10 different versions from Win98/98SE/Me to WinXP
Home/Pro, different DirectX versions, hardware, PCs, etc. The main error
(click on Play and the game stops running) is still here. I'm thinking about
asking for help to Clanlib people, as I cannot doing anything simmilar to a
"real" debug with the debug libraries from Clanlib (both sources and
binaries tested) and I have no startpoint to work on. The latest changes on
the sources seems to have solved some of the other problems and now the game
seems to run better (or, at least, it starts faster and I can let it running
in the main menu with no crashes, that was impossible before), but not this
one.

  Ingo, any idea about any change from 0.4.x to this release that should
have this effect? I can still run that version, is slow and I have no sound,
but it works.

  Any other idea to test?

  Appart from this, I want to comment now some tasks you should have in mind
when coding, in order to avoid me some problems compiling with the damned
Visual C++.

  First, the most common point : due to some lack of bug in the mannage of
namespaces from VC++, I have a real headache with hundreds of warnings since
VC++ seems to mix namespace's names, and it warms about a namespace with a
name length bigger than 255 characters.

  Visual C++ seems to get confused when you have declared new namespaces and
use also the STL ones. This is clearer when you do something like this :

  <file1>

     #include <stdio.h>
     #include <map>
     #include "file2.hxx"
     #include more_files_to_include

  <file2.hxx>

    #include <string>
    #include more_files

  In this case, I have on file1 a ,more-than-sure, lot of warnings. Damned
if I know why, but this seems to solve (in my case, it solved it) the
situation : in every file, push the #include for files with namespaces, or
nearer files included that include themselves a file with namespace
declaration, in the latest positions. That's :

  <file1>

     #include <stdio.h>
     #include more_files_to_include
     #include "file2.hxx"
     #include <map>

   <file2.hxx>

      #include more_files
      #include <string>

  I repeat that I have not idea about the cause of this shit. I just did a
lot of tests and this seem to work flawlessly. Don't ask me why....

  Now, I have changed it on my CVS copy. I will send a patch to Ingo these
days. In newer files, please, take it in consideration.

      Regards

      Alberto