Re: [Konrad Dabrowski <address@hidden>] Can I help?

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: [Konrad Dabrowski <address@hidden>] Can I help?
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 20:35:39 +0200

> fan. My modem does not work under Linux as it is a bit ****.

If you're only trying to connect to an ISP quite every modem should work
unless it's a special PCI modem or suchlike. You may send me a private mail
with a better description of your problem and I'll wheter I may help you.

> Can I download a reasonably stable version of Pingus for Linux or
> Windows anywhere? (I've read that 0.4 is about 2 years old)

You may try the CVS version - if it compiles it should be as stable as the
next release due soon. On the other hand the CVS version will undergo quite
some structural changes when I commit next so it may save you a bit of time
and trouble to wait a few more days.

> So, what could I do to help and where can I download a stable build?

What could you do...
- test the game for crashs
- create some gfx / sounds
- develop / refine levels
- rate the current levels (playability, difficulty...)
- help out with coding the game

... it just depend's on your skills and interests.

Since you wrote that you've got little knowledge of C++ so far, working on
the code may prove a bit hard. I'm working on cleaning up and rewritting
parts of it but no project of such a size is every to comprehend even if
it's composed only of very clean code.
Ingo may tell you some areas where you could work on the code - I'm not
familar enough with it yet - but if you're willing you could take some code,
try to comprehend it and if you succeed, add some documentation. (It's quite
unlikely that you'd pick a documented piece of code by chance.) This may
help you to learn more about C++ and help other people to understand the
code faster but unfortunately it may prove to be a bit boring. ;-)