Re: Radar and Armageddon buttons get in the way

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: Radar and Armageddon buttons get in the way
Date: 17 Sep 2002 01:48:46 +0200

Gervase Lam <address@hidden> writes:

> Before I forget again, there was one problem that I "found" with Pingus a
> long time ago.  If you get all of the Pingii stuck in the bottom right
> hand corner of the level, there is the possibility that you won't be able
> to give any of them any actions as the Armageddon button gets in the way.
> The same could be said of the Radar in the other corner.
>
> The obvious solution is to move the Radar and those non-Action buttons a
> little bit towards the middle of the screen.

The non-Action buttons can be placed elsewhere and could also need a
redesign, they could for example have another shape or be integraded
in the radar, info-panel or something like that. But we can't really
get the radar out of the corners of the screen, the radar is too
larged to be placed at the sites IMHO.

I think its better to fix the level so that the player can't reach
buttom/left, bottom/right corners, which can be easily done by just
adding a bit emptyness around the level (aka resize the level and move
everything in the center).

Anyway, its not be impossible to rearrange the GUI and if I see a
version that looks better than the current one I would take it.

But the problem with moving stuff into the middle, like this:

+-------------------------+
|      |___________|      |
|_                        |
| |                       |
| |                       |
| |                       |
|-'                       |

is that the middle of the screen (thats where all the action takes
place) would get quite a bit smaller, that could lead to more problems
than just placing the radar in the corner and fixing the level.

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927