Re: Reducing the size of the static binarys

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: Reducing the size of the static binarys
Date: 01 Oct 2002 13:09:45 +0200

David Philippi <address@hidden> writes:

> I think there's an easy way to reduce the size of the static binaries for now
> - just remove libClanVorbis. Right now there are no .ogg files and the code
> should compile without ClanVorbis.

That would probally reduce the size by something like 100KB, not
really worth it.

Providing xdeltas (aka binary patches) could help more, but on the
other site 2MB arn't really that much these days and compiling from
CVS might also help if someones connection is really slow.

BTW. I haven't tested this for a while, but the automatic CVS compile
script might still work:

 * http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/pingus-cvs-build

> BTW is everything in /data in a sepperate download package? Somehow
> one starts to think more about such details while using a 28.8
> KBit/s Modem then while using DSL with 768 KBit/s. :-)

Betatesters should use CVS + static binary (which is a seperate
download), the rest of the people has to redownload the data anyway
between new releases, since it also changes quite a lot.

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927