Re: Bugs on Savannah

From: Gervase Lam
Subject: Re: Bugs on Savannah
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 02:40:02 +0100

> From: Gervase Lam <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Bugs on Savannah
> Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 01:19:33 +0100

> > See followup to that bugreport, the current behaviour breaks at least
> > two levels stone11-grumbel.xml, stone12-grumbel.xml. The solution
> > would be to keep infos about the last action, so that it won't fall
> > down on a climber.
>
> I've looked at those levels and can't work out how to solve them!  Would
> your original idea of having a Bomber up force sort out the problem?
>
> Btw, don't give away the solution to the levels!

(Replying to my e-mail in my outbox).

Attached is an experimental version of this.  As David suggested, I shall
(hopefully) put this code into a method like
PinguAction::move_with_force() (or called something like that) instead of
having it within Bomber::Update().  I'll also make Faller::Update() use
the new method.

I had a go at experimenting with the up force value.  Making the up force
significantly but not too much less than gravity just makes Pingus fall
"more slowly".  Making the up force slightly more than gravity makes them
off the ground a little bit before they explode.  Making the up force much
more than gravity makes Pingus rocket off the top of the screen in a way
that rocket scientists are still wishing about.

I think it is best to keep the up force equal to the down force due to
gravity.  This means that "Walkers" stay on the ground instead of floating
off the ground, which could break levels.  This also means that "Climbers"
stay where they are when the explode.  A possible down side to it is that
"Floaters" stay where they are as well.

Meanwhile, for "Fallers", if they have been falling a long time, the up
force kicks in "too late" to significantly change anything (Actually, they
fall at a constant speed when they explode whereas they would fall faster
and faster if they did not explode.)  If they have been falling only for a
short time, you'll notice the difference because the speed is low near the
beginning of the fall.

All this is physically correct, but I don't know if this is what you want.
 Anyway, if you want to fiddle with the up force value to get a good
value, by all means do.

One thing that will need to be done is to deal with what happens if the
Bomber falls into Lava or Water.  Currently, they just stop on top of the
Lava or Water and explode.

Thanks,
Gervase.