Re: Benchmarking...

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Benchmarking...
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:59:44 +0200

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 21:12, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
> Athlon 1Ghz, Matrox G450 (using 800x600):
>  Game:               20fps
>  Game(fast-mode[1]): 30fps
>  WorldMap:           40fps

> Pentium 133, S3 something (using 640x480):
>
>  Game:                8fps
>  Game(fast-mode):    15fps
>  WorldMap:           27fps

You should have added the amount and type of RAM to make those results better
comparable. We have a speed difference of 8.x or even 9.x (Mhz aren't
directly comparable between different CPU types) but the fps difference
ranges from ~1.5 to 2.5.
Seems like raw CPU power isn't everything. I guess that most of the time is
used for copying memory around, especially to the graphic card.

> The worldmap is simple a flat image, so it is most likly as fast as we
> can get on the hardware without using CL_Display::put_display() and
> things like that.

Well, how says that we can't optimize the game a bit more? I'd say that
there's still very much potential for optimizations. I'd like to run a
profiler on Pingus but I don't know of any free profilers and have never
used one before.
If you post how you made those benchmarks I could run it on my PC's. Did you
try to run benchmarks with compiler optimizations on / off (both ClanLib and
Pingus)?