Re: Composing pingus' songs

From: Joe Cooper
Subject: Re: Composing pingus' songs
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:30:10 -0500

Björn Fischer wrote:
Hello,
I would like to try myself being a composer. It's just that I've never made any music with my computer (only an "analog violin" :-). Is there (hopefully free) software to write songs or sample sounds and put samples together? How did you do that with the existing pingus sounds?

I had nothing to do with the existing Pingus music, but I'll comment, since I know what the answer is.

The existing pingus music was written using a 'tracker' (the .it file suffix hints at Impulse Tracker...there is also an s3m or two in there, hinting at Scream Tracker).

There are two trackers for Linux that are free: SoundTracker and Cheese Tracker. Both work well and similarly to each other and the Impulse/Scream/etc. trackers on the Win/DOS side, and all are directly related to their ancesters on the Amiga (the original SoundTracker, MED, Noise Tracker, Pro Tracker, etc. etc.).

Sound Tracker is the easiest to get working, in my experience, and you can get it here:

http://www.soundtracker.org

Since Pingus uses the libmikmod library for tunes (doesn't it?), I suspect you can use any format supported by mikmod for Pingus tunes. SoundTracker format tunes are supported by mikmod.
--
Joe Cooper <address@hidden>
Web caching appliances and support.