Re: Level comment management tool

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Level comment management tool
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 11:11:21 +0200

Am Sam, 2003-08-16 um 10.38 schrieb Jarno Elonen:
> Actually, while the level is rather wide and tall, the combined data size of
> the HTML page and the image layers is just about 150 KB. Also, the savings

Well, now imagine that you're a user with an ISDN connection and a
maximal transfer rate of about 7.5 KB/sec. That means 20 seconds waiting
in the *best* case for one level. I don't think that would encourage
people to use the tool.

> are relatively better for larger levels because they typically use the same
> elements extensively and the browser only has to load an image once after
> which it's in the cache. That fact that the level shows up slowly is more due

That may surely speed things up after a few levels, but we've probably
got too many graphics already. It's not as if the browser cache were
reserved for this page only. Although reserving it for Pingus may be a
nice idea. :-)

> to slow xml processing than download time. Caching the resulting HTML or
> writing custom XML parsing routines instead of using PHPXpath would speed the
> viewer up.
> Unfortunately, this technique can't currently produce thumbnails. It's not
> utterly impossible though, so I'll probably look into it in the near future.

I guess it should also be possible to render everything into one image
and then save this as png or maybe rather jpg, should be smaller I
think. This would also solve the problem of generating thumbnails on the
fly.