Re: Pingus - 105 Playable Levels

From: John August
Subject: Re: Pingus - 105 Playable Levels
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:27:05 +1000

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 01:09:07PM +0200, Gunter Gerhardt wrote:

> Many of the 108 "playable" levels contained in version 0.6.0 show a "not
> playable" warning,
> but in fact most can be solved and only a few had to be fixed.
>
> Get 105 cleaned-up, playable levels at http://www.xskat.de/pingus/pingus.html

Er, that's a distortion.

I see the level aliens7-phil is still trivial - you don't need to do
anything. Other levels I've noted (private list) as having problems do
not seem to have been changed. The major change seems to have been marking
the levels as "playable", regardless of other considerations.

You've made some levels easier which did not need to be :

desert5-tflavel.pingus

<     <bridger count="10"/>
---
>     <bridger count="1"/>

It is possible with one of each pingu type;
need to time initial bomber to trap top pingus and mine above; jump over
gap to wall; set climber and parachute; burrow top of pillar with digger;
build bridge; let pingus through with basher; use blocker above pillar to
reverse direction.

hellmouth12-grumbel.pingus

19,22c19,22
<     <basher count="10"/>
<     <bomber count="10"/>
<     <bridger count="10"/>
<     <digger count="10"/>
---
>     <basher count="5"/>
>     <bomber count="5"/>
>     <bridger count="6"/>
>     <digger count="7"/>

To do with the original number of pingus, you have two diggers build
catcher pits, and on the right have solitary pingu mine down, and then
bash a bit and then down again to get a step which does not kill the
pingus.  When you run out of column, you use a ladder to reverse the
direction, and then bash to get a step which breaks the fall.  The last
drop can be in the open, and you build a ladder to the island at the end
of it.

hellmouth13-grumbel.pingus
31,33c31,33
<     <bridger count="20"/>
<     <digger count="10"/>
<     <miner count="10"/>
---
>     <bridger count="10"/>
>     <digger count="5"/>
>     <miner count="5"/>

Relatively simple matter of setting up blockers and mining to the lower
cavern and setting up a series of bridges ... maybe burrow a bit above
to store the right hand pingus if they are a nuisance.

** OK, so perhaps its not clear whether a level is "buggy" or just
"difficult".  Perhaps there's no readily accessible information on this.

OK, this did need to clip the bottom :

aliens6-phil.pingus
14c14
<     <height count="608"/>
---
>     <height count="708"/>

large position change, one entrance - now there are two on the screen;
ok, good :

sas.pingus
1393c1392
<     <x-pos count="1000"/>
---
>     <x-pos count="2143"/>

Then there are some minor position changes :

hellmouth14-grumbel.pingus
125c125
<     <y-pos count="261"/>
---
>     <y-pos count="265"/>

hellmouth18-grumbel.pingus
29c29
<     <y-pos count="506"/>
---
>     <y-pos count="507"/>

hellmouth19-grumbel.pingus
67,68c67,68
<     <x-pos count="594"/>
<     <y-pos count="209"/>
---
>     <x-pos>594.56</x-pos>
>     <y-pos>210.52</y-pos>

There's a change in number :

hellmouth20-grumbel.pingus
19c19
<     <jumper count="200"/>
---
>     <jumper count="100"/>

increased pingus - make easier - I do believe I made it with the original.

OK, there's an entrance added here :

hellmouth01-grumbel.pingus
1116a1117,1128

> <entrance>
>   <position>
>     <x-pos count="0"/>
>     <y-pos count="0"/>
>     <z-pos count="0"/>
>   </position>
>   <type>generic</type>
>   <direction>misc</direction>
>   <release-rate count="50"/>
>   <owner-id count="0"/>
> </entrance>

OK, good to see you've improved a few levels, but you've also made levels
either easier than they need to be, or changed the number of pingus for
no apparent reason.

But there still seem to be many more levels with problems which remain.

--
John August.

"I understand there are cannibals in New Guinea. Is he [other lord in
debate] aware there is already concern about the edibility of Western
people because of the amount of DDT in them ?"

- Lord Shackleton, House of Lords, 10 March 1971