Re: Multiplayer question

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: Multiplayer question
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:19:10 +0200

Gervase Lam <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd be interested in knowing what grumbel's opinion is. However, I
> think he found multi-player more chaotic than interesting.

I found the original Lemmings multiplayer mode rather uninteresting,
since the result was more luck then anything else. Without direct
control over the lemmings you had a hard time to do anything planed
with them, so it ends up being a 'I block you, you block me, I build a
bridge, you destroy the bridge, ..., '. Everything you build is easily
destroyed by the other player and in the end you often have a
situation where nobody will reach the end. So while adding such a
multiplayer mode is trivial and should be done sooner or later, I
don't find it all that interesting. There might however ways to make
it more interesting, new actions like teleporter or so that allow more
direct control, new traps that change the color of the penguin,
special penguins that you can control, airstrikes or whatever. Might
also be worth to let both players play in completly seperate areas and
only let them act indirectly, ie. player1 switches a switch which
toggles something in player2s scenario, something like Tetris where
when you clear a line it gets pushed to the other player, something
similar could work with traps or so.

Blog:     http://grumbel.blogspot.com/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927