[Pingus-Devel] ClanLib 0.8 (930) on Mac OS X

From: Tim Wilson-Brown
Subject: [Pingus-Devel] ClanLib 0.8 (930) on Mac OS X
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 21:56:11 +1000

Hi,

I have just installed ClanLib and Pingus from svn:

*Installing ClanLib:

Used the instructions at http://www.clanlib.org/wiki/Compiling
and the dependent libraries listed in the INSTALL.macosx document in ClanLib:

I used Xcode 2.3, gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5341), and zlib 1.2.3, all on Mac OS X 10.4.6 (8I127) on a PowerBook G4.

*Getting ClanLib and pingus source:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pingus-devel/2005-12/msg00060.html
says that ClanLib 0.9 is incompatible with (pingus/Mac OS X)?

So I downloaded ClanLib-0.8 using the instructions at: http:// www.clanlib.org/subversion.html Charis:~/Projects/Pingus twilsonb$ svn co https://clanlib.org/svn/ ClanLib/Development/ClanLib-0.8
Error validating server certificate for 'https://clanlib.org:443':
- The certificate is not issued by a trusted authority. Use the
   fingerprint to validate the certificate manually!
- The certificate hostname does not match.
- The certificate has expired.
Certificate information:
- Hostname: esoteric.clanlib.org
- Valid: from Nov 20 18:32:19 2004 GMT until Nov 20 18:32:19 2005 GMT
- Issuer: SomeOrganizationalUnit, SomeOrganization, SomeCity, SomeState, -- - Fingerprint: af:c6:43:f9:88:c5:24:ab:35:f2:52:86:a1:2c: 6e:f4:55:d9:19:f1
(R)eject, accept (t)emporarily or accept (p)ermanently? t
Checked out revision 930.

NOTE: The server certificate is outdated and has the wrong name.

*Building ClanLib 0.8:

I chose to use the universal binary instructions at http:// www.clanlib.org/wiki/XCode_Universal_Binaries and used the binaries from http://www.clanlib.org/download-binaries- osx-gcc40-universal.html

I opened the ClanLib.xcode project and upgraded it to an xcodeproj in Xcode 2.3.

I downloaded the frameworks and put the in a Frameworks directory, then reopened the project.

I changed the project settings to use the universal SDK, and (while I was at it) activated Subversion version control. I also needed to change the subversion tool path to /sw/bin/svn. I also needed to accept the clanlib certificate permanently. I also changed it to build for ppc and i386.

I then built using a dedicated build between the two Macs that I have.
(I decided not to wait for Xcode to sort out SCM status).

The build worked fine - about 5-10 minutes - there were some warnings about deprecated QuickDraw functions - but nothing that's going to cause any problems.

*Running/Debugging:

I get the message:

Pingus: Unknown throw caught!

when a CL_Error is thrown by ClanMikMod - the actual error (retrieved by using debugging output before the throw) is:

Compressed sample is invalid for /tmp/build/products/Development/ Pingus.app/Contents/Resources/data/music/pingus-1.it

I remember RTTI errors like this having something to do with gcc, and classes in header files. (I do have RTTI and exceptions turned on). Does anyone know where I can find gcc documentation referring to this problem? (Or some workarounds?)

I have read it somewhere but I can't find it now when I need it.

Apart from this problem, the game and engine run fine and compile well on Mac OS X. It's good to see game engines that are so portable!

Tim