Re: [Pingus-Devel] Updated German translation of pingus

From: Helge Kreutzmann
Subject: Re: [Pingus-Devel] Updated German translation of pingus
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 19:34:00 +0200

Hallo Ingo,
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 04:16:41PM +0200, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
> 2011/6/21 Helge Kreutzmann <address@hidden>:
> > Finally we wondered why the functions of the pingus (e.g. floater,
> > basher, ...) are not translated. We think it would be much more
> > helpful for players if those appeared in German as well, but I felt
> > the change too intrusive to make before discussion with you. If you
> > agree, I can update the file using translations for them as well.
>
> Main reason is that I simply couldn't think of a good translation for
> some actions, i.e. something that is easy to understand and isn't an
> overly descriptive sounding. I am not opposed to a translation of the
> actions, so here a few that come to mind (just stuff that poped up
> while writing this mail, so don't take them as authorative or
> anything, if you can think of better stuff use that instead):
>
> Basher - Tunneler
> Blocker - Blocker
> Bomber - Bomber
> Bridger - Brückenbauer (to long?), Überbrücker (not great either),
> Konstrukteur (to general)
> Climber - Kletterer
> Digger - Schachter (sounds a bit weird)
> Floater - Schweber, Gleiter, Flieger
> Jumper - Springer
> Miner - Bergmann (?)
> Slider - Rutscher, Gleiter

We finally chose the following set on the list:
Basher - Tunnelbauer
Blocker - Blockierer
Bomber - Bomber
Bridger - Brückenbauer
Climber - Kletterer
Digger - Lochgräber
Floater - Schweber
Jumper - Springer
Miner - Bergmann
Slider - Gleiter

I updated de.po accordingly; if you agree with the set could you
kindly submit it to the repository?

Thanks & Greetings

                 Helge
--