plash

Re: [Plash] Firefox now hangs

From: Mark Seaborn
Subject: Re: [Plash] Firefox now hangs
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 20:27:03 +0100 (BST)

Thomas Leonard <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've been running firefox under plash for a while, using this script
> (on Debian/unstable):

I will be installing Debian/unstable soon, so I'll give it a try
then...

> This was working fine (plash-0.16), but I upgraded something and now
> it just hangs on startup. stracing it shows:
> Any idea how to debug this?

It looks like it is opening what it expects to be a file but getting a
directory.  Plash replaces directory FDs with dummy /dev/null FDs, and
then intercepts fstat() and fchdir().  But it doesn't intercept read()
or mmap(), so these will succeed where they failed before.

Try passing "--log" to pola-run, and it will log the requests it gets.
Then we can see what file/dir it is opening.  (Sometimes this isn't
properly synchronised with the output from strace.  Redirecting to a
file might work better than to a pipe in this case.)

Or try passing "-s 100" to strace and it will print more of the
messages that are sent between the sandboxed process and pola-run.

Cheers
Mark