plash

Re: [Plash] Re: X11 proxy related questions

From: Mark Seaborn
Subject: Re: [Plash] Re: X11 proxy related questions
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 20:59:06 +0100 (BST)

Timo Juhani Lindfors <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sounds interesting. I have been using VNC (which much like Xvfb) to
> interact with "questionable" processes in the past. I read the
> description of Xpra but I'm not quite sure how it differs from my
> current situation.

>From http://partiwm.org/browser/README.xpra:

"Wait, isn't that what VNC does?

"VNC is another system for using apps remotely.  The main difference
between xpra and VNC is that xpra is "rootless" -- i.e., programs you
run under it show up on your desktop as regular programs, managed by
your regular window manager, instead of being trapped inside a box.
It gives you "remote applications", not a "remote desktop".  (Hence
the name -- "X Persistent Remote Applications".)"

> Does it really just copy bitmap from Xvfb to my real X display?

Yes, for individual top-level windows.  It uses the Damage/Composite
extensions to listen for regions of the windows that are changed.

Cheers,
Mark