plex86-devel

[Plex86-devel] virtualization for other clients besides plex86?

From: Ryan Underwood
Subject: [Plex86-devel] virtualization for other clients besides plex86?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:47:59 +0000

Hi,

Is it possible, with the design of the plex86 kernel module, for any
program to be a plex86 client and pass code off to the module for
virtualization and execution in protected mode?

I am curious, because if it is generic enough to support other clients,
it may be possible for dosemu to be a plex86 guest.  What this would
accomplish is the possibility of support for VCPI and other 386
protected mode interfaces that do not use DPMI.  I have already
implemented VCPI functionality in dosemu for requesting and freeing
memory pages, it's just that I have no way to satisfy a program's
desire to switch from v86 to supervisor mode, without a
virtualization interface of some sort.

Plex86's kernel module seems to provide such an interface, and I would
be extremely pleased if someone on this list could provide some
details about how to use it from a programmer's perspective.  Or,
tell me how I'm dead wrong, this idea will never work, etc. :)

Thanks!
--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253