plex86-devel

[Plex86-devel] light weight Plex86 questions

From: Steve Coleman
Subject: [Plex86-devel] light weight Plex86 questions
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:22:51 -0500

In the light of the recent announcement of the new "light weight" Plex86 VM I have a few questions...

Can anyone tell me what "user privilege" might mean in terms of running selinux (http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/) or MOSIX (http://www.mosix.org/) Linux derivatives under the new VM? I had been thinking of looking into VMware to virtualize them for some experiments I was wanting to do but if Plex86 is getting ready for prime time then perhaps I should just help out where I can (not sure where, but I do love an educational challenge). If the same PVI compilation macro trick will work for selinux and/or mosix then I'd much rather spend my time learning and growing with Plex86 as it matures.

Also, is the older heavyweight MV code being put out to pasture? Or is this basically a planned fork in the road between two different camps? Just curious if the old camp still has a critical mass growing out there, or what the older VM had to offer that might be lost to the light weight version other than support for other non-x86 platforms.

Thanks,

Steve