plex86-devel

Re: [Plex86-devel] Performance characteristics

From: Bob Diepenbrock
Subject: Re: [Plex86-devel] Performance characteristics
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:38:15 -0600

Shai,

My experience is only with Plex86 and VMWare which are roughly the same from a theory perspective although they vary greatly in implementation.

Using the same activity on the plain host machine verses the two...

1.  VMWare - Seems to be about 80% of host OS speed for most things, this improves if you can obtain and install the Guest OS VMWare driver packages, but not all that much.  I've seen near 100% for a limited set of user level processes.

2.  Plex86 - Seems to be about 50% of host OS speed.  Which in my mind is SLOW.  I've heard reports that BOCS can exceed Plex86's performance at times.

Your results may vary due to target machine differences.  I currently have a P2-300 with 128MB Ram and some slow IDE disks that I use for playing around with these things.  I'm sure that more RAM would greatly enhance the performance of both Plex86 and BOCS.

>>> address@hidden 2/19/03 3:09:31 PM >>>

All,

Has anyone done any performance test or comparison between the different VM products around?

What should be the expected performance loss in case of VMware or Plex or VirtualPC??

What are the numbers for bochs??

Any info will be appreciated.

Shai Fultheim