pspp-dev

Normal RNG

From: John Darrington
Subject: Normal RNG
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:40:58 +0800

It's getting late here so perhaps I'm not making sense...

Now that the EXAMINE command is semi-complete, I thought I would use
it to check out PSPP's random number generator.

I tried the following :

INPUT PROGRAM.
LOOP #I=1 TO 100.
    COMPUTE X=NORMAL(10).
    END CASE.
END LOOP.
END FILE.
END INPUT PROGRAM.

LIST /FORMAT=NUMBERED.

DESCRIPTIVES
        /var = x
        /STATISTICS = ALL
        .

EXAMINE
        /var = x
        /STATISTICS = DESCRIPTIVES
        /PLOT = NPPLOT
        .

I'm not an expert, but I notice that the extreme values always fall
somewhat off the normal.  Does this indicate a problem with the rng?  Now
that we're using libgsl perhaps we ought to be using its functions anyway.

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
See http://wwwkeys.pgp.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.