pspp-dev

Some notes on Mac OS X 10.3.6 (Panther)

From: Marshall DeBerry
Subject: Some notes on Mac OS X 10.3.6 (Panther)
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 22:13:28 -0500

I've been playing with the CVS version (11/25) the past couple of days on my
Powerbook and here are my observations on getting the CVS code to get
through the ./configure stage on a Mac Powerbook:

First, make sure you have the latest version of autoconf, automake, and
gettext, as is mentioned in the NEWS file.  Panther ships with older
versions, which cause numerous issues when doing the initial configure
setup.  I downloaded, compiled, and installed autoconf 2.59, gettext 0.14.1,
and automake 1.9.3.

Second, you will need the gsl and gmp libraries, as they do not come on the
standard Panther edition.  I downloaded, compiled, and installed gsl-1.5 and
gmp-4.1.4.

Next, I modded the SMake file in two areas:  first, I changed the line under
aclocal.m4 from aclocal -I m4 to aclocal -I /sw/share/aclocal so that it
points to the Panther area for the m4 macros (so far, I think this is
right).  Next, later in the file, I changed all the cp -a 's to be cp -pR,
as this version on BSD/Panther doesn't support the -a option to cp.

Given all that, I now have a way of getting through the configure part.
Unfortunately, things are stalling out when I try to get it to start
compiling with regards to "In file included from examine.q:43:
factor_stats.h:46 error: parse error before the '&' token" and things go
downhill from there.  Perhaps I still haven't set the proper environment
variable.  I also seem to be having a similar problem with Fedora Core 3,
with regards to the examine.q file, in terms of parse errors.

Hope this is helpful.
Marshall