pspp-dev

pspp and R?

From: Jeremy Gray
Subject: pspp and R?
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 10:36:29 -0400

Howdy!

PSPP sounds like a great idea, I look forward to seeing it realized. I'm wondering if you folks have considered using R (http://www.r-project.org/) as the statistical engine of PSPP, with PSPP providing an SPSS-style user interface? this could potentially speed up development of pspp, in terms of providing stats, and could make R a lot more user friendly for people used to SPSS (e.g., most research psychologists). R has been adapted to be call-able from within perl, for example, so I am pretty sure that what I am suggesting is feasible (no idea how easy, of course). R is widely respected, and has a strong and active development base.

just an idea,

--Jeremy

      Jeremy R. Gray, PhD
      Assistant Professor, Dept. of Psychology
      Yale University
      Box 208205
      New Haven, CT 06520-8205 USA
      phone  203.432.9615 (office)
      fax        203.432.7172 (include Attn J. Gray)
      web     http://pantheon.yale.edu/~scl39/