pspp-dev

Re: GUI

From: Jason Stover
Subject: Re: GUI
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 18:12:48 +0000

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 08:18:15AM +0800, John Darrington wrote:
> Phase 3:  Add the ability perform transformations on the data (eg. SORT,
>       AGGREGATE etc).  I suggest the best way to do this is to have
>       the GUI generate a syntax string eg "SORT CASES BY /x" and pass
>       this request to an external daemon, similar to the way Ben
>       suggested earlier.  The exact details of this protocol will have
>       to be worked out --- eg it'll be necessary to specify a socket
>       or pipe to stream the casefile from the gui to the backend, and
>       vice-versa.

I don't know if the following comment is relevant to this phase, but
just in case: sometimes users have client/server versions of SAS or
SPSS or other statistical software.  They use a local gui as a client,
which sends computational requests, usually those involving a large
data set, to a server which runs only the backend and has access to
the data. I thought this consideration might be relevant to any socket
v. pipe questions.

-Jason

--
address@hidden