pspp-dev

Re: obsd build trouble

From: Jason Stover
Subject: Re: obsd build trouble
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:19:08 -0500

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:45:23AM +0800, John Darrington wrote:
> This is turning out to be a lot harder than I envisaged.
>
> How much importance do we want to attribute to building with a non-GNU
> make?

Not as much importance as fixing a lot of other things first. The GNU
maintainer doc says:

"Supporting other platforms is optional -- we do it when that seems like a
good idea, but we don't consider it obligatory. If the users don't
take care of a certain platform, you may have to desupport it unless
and until users come forward to help. Conversely, if a user offers
changes to support an additional platform, you will probably want to
install them, but you don't have to. If you feel the changes are
complex and ugly, if you think that they will increase the burden of
future maintenance, you can and should reject them. This includes both
free platforms such as NetBSD or FreeBSD ...."

Based on this, I'd say it should be my problem, especially since PSPP
builds on BSD using GNU make, and it runs fine.

Where does the trouble lie? (Or lay?)

-Jason