pspp-dev

Re: Messages again

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Messages again
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 10:34:21 -0700

> On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 08:35:38PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>      John Darrington <address@hidden> writes:
>
>      > 1. There'll be a new construct, which I'll call a "message context".
>
>      I'm still planning to add better support for reporting where a
>      message is coming from, and I was going to call my description of
>      that a "message context".  But I can call it an "origin" or
>      "location" instead.
>

> It sounds like we're both tackling the same general problem.  What do
> you mean by "where a message is coming from" ?  The function which
> calls msg is not very helpful, as many functions could call that
> function.   A complete stack trace up to the time that the message was
> called would contain a lot of  information, but would be too verbose
> to helpful.

I mean what's currently done with a stack of "getl_location"s; in
essence a description of what *provoked* the error and a trace of
how we got there.  Right now it's just a single file and line
number pair, but I mean to generalize it to be more useful.

I think this concept is separate from the one you have in mind.
What do you think?

>      >    Further, a context can specify the manner in which messages are
>      >    reported, eg: dialog box, scrolled list, log file or combination
>      >    thereof.
>
>      I was planning to put reporting of errors to the listing file at
>      a layer below the reporting to the callback.  Obviously this
>      doesn't mesh with your plans.  I'll have to do something else,
>      then; perhaps the callback is responsible for deciding what, if
>      any, errors should be reported to the listing file.
>
> Yes. I think that's probably best.  In my model, I would push a new
> message context when I start parsing a syntax file, and pop it, when
> complete.  In that context, messages would be reported to the listing
> file (and probably elsewhere too).

OK.
--
"...dans ce pays-ci il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral
 pour encourager les autres."