pspp-dev

Re: your PSPP presentation

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: your PSPP presentation
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:29:07 -0800

[CC'd to pspp-dev, hope that's OK.]

"MOHAMMED BABEKIR ELMALIK ABDALMAJID" <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear Ben, It's nice to contact you and thank you very much for your
> e-mail.  I just want to inform you that I'm statistician and one of
> the open sources supporter that why I'm trying to draw some attention
> about it by giving some information at the conference.

Thanks!

> One question to be answered (hopefully before the conference):
> What about the data handling in PSPP compare with SPSS? i mean
> the size of the data set in terms of the cases and the
> variables?

I'm not sure what you're asking here.  If you're asking whether
PSPP supports large data sets, the answer is yes.  One of PSPP's
goals is to support data sets much larger than machine physical
RAM.  If you discover some problems with this support, please
file a bug report, and we can figure out what's going on.

> About the bugs: I have notice that, the P-value of the Fisher's
> exact test for the two sides is wrong.  I have some things to
> say about the independent sample mode (T-test) but i'm still
> busy with.
>
> Thank you very much for your comments on my abstract, but i just want
> to make some suggestions: 1- Add information about PSPP under windows
> to the documentation as there is no mention about it on the PSPP's
> documentation.

Hmm.  The major obstacle here is simply that none of the PSPP
developers use it under Windows.  Thus, all we really have to go
on is reports from others.

> 2- Do update the documentation because i got the information
> about the graphs from the documentation.

OK.

(John, is the documentation on graphs up-to-date?)

> 3-if possible, i want to have some information about the SPSS
> unknown bugs.

I have found some bugs in SPSS recently, but I haven't yet taken
the time to properly document them.  I'll try to do so soon.

> I will send you the output that i have for the Fisher's exact test
> soon with the data set.

Thanks!
--
Ben Pfaff