pspp-dev

Re: [patch #5603] Separate command's parsing from their execution

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: [patch #5603] Separate command's parsing from their execution
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 15:04:01 -0800

[reviving an old discussion here]

> On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 11:06:39AM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>
>      The server, if and when we build such a thing, can then accept
>      syntax as well.
>
> In that case, the 'server' isn't much more than an instance of pspp
> with remote access.  I mean it wouldn't be much different from running
> the gui over a X session.

It's never been clear to me what the actual purpose of a PSPP or
SPSS server is.  Is it to move the data processing closer to the
database that stores the data?  Perhaps I'll have a better idea
of what the protocol should be when I know what the goal is.
--
"Implementation details are beyond the scope of the Java virtual
 machine specification.  One should not assume that every virtual