pspp-dev

Re: List of functions ?

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: List of functions ?
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:22:45 +0900

Thanks.  The contents of parse.inc seem to be what I want.  So far as
I can see, the first two fields will suffice.

However, this list contains more than what I want.  There are some
'non functions' at the top of the file , and some that a user doesn't
normally think of as functions, at the foot eg "ADD", "EQ" etc.  Maybe
it's possible to identify these with flag?

J'

     > Is there a way to programatically obtain a list of function names
     > (as defined in src/language/expressions) ?  Some of the GUI dialog
     > boxes require such a list.

     There's never been a reason to export one from the expression
     parser before, so although there's a list it's not necessarily in
     the form you want.  See src/language/expressions/parse.inc in the
     build directory (it's a generated file).

     Quite possibly we want to generate a separate list for use by the
     GUI dialogs and export that list.

     Here are some considerations:

             * Do you want just function names, or do you want
               argument types along with them?  They're about equally
               easy to supply, as you can see from the current array.

             * Do you want to include unimplemented functions?  PSPP
               extension functions?

             * Some functions are "overloaded" in that they have
               multiple versions with the same name but different
               types or numbers of arguments; also, some functions are
               varargs.

             * Some functions take a optional "minimum non-missing
               arguments" argument, e.g. MAX.3(a,b,c) to only give a
               non-missing result if all of a, b, and c are
               non-missing.
     --
     Peter Seebach on managing engineers:
     "It's like herding cats, only most of the engineers are already