pspp-dev

Re: hi, newbie coming

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: hi, newbie coming
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 18:02:45 -0700

"Laurent Valdes" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, I'm a statistician,
> and I'm interested with implementing algorithms from SPSS.
> I know GUI things too, but my main skill is statistics.

One of the troubles we've had with adding statisticians to the
project is that most of the work in adding a new statistical
procedure to PSPP is not actually the work of writing statistical
code.  In fact, a lot of it is fairly mindless programming tasks
either for parsing user input or formatting user output.  We are
working to reduce these burdens in the long term, but they are
still something of a problem for many people.  We are willing to
help to some extent, of course.

Usually, I suggest that people who want to contribute to PSPP
pick a statistical procedure that they would like to see
implemented.  Is there one that you would like to work on?

We have a few guidelines for contributors posted at:
        http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/contributing.html

> Which is the GUI API for PSPP ?

We are using Gtk.  One task that you could start work on
immediately, if you are interested in it, is to create a dialog
box for each of the transformations and statistical procedures
that PSPP has implemented, using the Glade interface designer.
We have made a start at this, but we are hoping to complete some
more of them before making the first official release of PSPP
with a dialog box.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org