pspp-dev

Re: [patch #6426] Patches needed for text import

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: [patch #6426] Patches needed for text import
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 06:47:06 +0900

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 09:08:00PM +0000, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     I think that the glib typedefs for int and other standard types from C89
are
     a stupid idea that should never have seen the light of day.  There is some
     sense in gboolean, since C89 didn't have a boolean type.

I think the rationale is that gtk/glib has many different language bindings.
Thus, whilst in the case of C, gint is a simple typedef, in other
languages it may not be so simple.  The idea is, that if one sees
"gint" in code (in any language) one knows that it's a type that's
supported by glib (in any language).   So, I'm trying to stick to the
glib identifiers whereever they're not going to be used outside of GUI
code.  This would, for instance, make it easier for somebody who
wanted to take the GUI and port it to (say) python.  Also, I understand
there are some doxygen like tools for gtk+ that benefit from using the
g types.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3