pspp-dev

SPSS file record layout type 2 vs type 3

From: Pascal Heus
Subject: SPSS file record layout type 2 vs type 3
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 09:59:13 -0500

All:
Does anyone now the exact meaning of the record layout type byte present in the SPSS .sav file header? This is byte #65 that follows the $FL2 signature and the 60-byte information string. According to the documentation I found and based on source codes, the only allowed values are 2=SPSS file and 3=portable file. Problem is that I have recently received a few files produced I think with SPSS 12 or 13 that have a layout code = 3 (not sure why) but look exactly like a record layout 2 file. I'm trying to figure out where this difference comes from.
thanks
*P